A journey to discover Majella in which you will discover the history, art and traditions of the "Mother Mountain": land of shepherds, hermits, wolves and bears. Villages, castles and cities of art combined with Abruzzo's craftsmanship and food and wine will be the backdrop for an authentic and exciting experience. All characterized by an uncontaminated and wild nature that speaks to the heart and soul.
- Exclusive experiences:
- Guided tasting at a craft brewery
- Naturalistic excursion to the hermitage of Pope Celestino V Lunch with typical tasting menu at Guardiagrele Laboratory and tasting of EVO oil at the trappeto
- Path of the peasant gastronomic tradition on a farm
- The pluses:
- At your disposal a local guide for visits to Fara San Martino, Guardiagrele, Roccascalegna Castle, medium mountain guide for trekking to the hermitage of Pope Celestino V
- Every day from 05.05 to 23.12.20
The trip tailored for you. It is possible to customize the tour with additional visits or combine it with a sea or mountain stay. Let us know your needs!
- 1st day: Fara San Martino, city of water and pasta
- We look forward to seeing you in the afternoon at the Del Camerlengo hotel in Fara San Martino. Accommodation in room, dinner and overnight.
- 2nd day: The orange villages of the Touring Club Italy: Fara San Martino and Palena
Breakfast at the hotel. The local guide will lead you on the urban excursion of Fara San Martino, a village of Lombard origins, today it is known as the country of pasta, where there are four food industries that produce pasta. On foot you will walk the streets that cross the town and its main monuments, go up and down towards the naturalistic and tourist area of the "river park of the sources of the Green River". Streets and landscapes that in 1928 inspired one of the works of the famous Dutch mathematician and artist "Escher". At the end of the visit, Giuseppe and Mario await you at the workshop of their Mezzogaudio craft brewery, to let you taste the whole range of beers they produce, accompanied by a snack of typical Abruzzese products, salami and local cheeses, bruschetta with EVO oil and "Abruzzo pizzonde" ". Afternoon guided tour of the Brown Bear Wildlife Area, of the Majella di Palena National Park. The path of discovery of the placid plantigrade begins with a visit to the MOM the Museum of the Marsican Bear, housed in a wing of the former Convent of S. Antonio to complete with a visit to the Brown Bear Wildlife Area ... metaphorically the Museum opens the doors and takes you to the area that houses three specimens of European brown bear. The area extends for about one hectare, and is characterized by a forest of firs, bushes, fruit trees and grazing areas where it is possible to sight and observe, in total tranquility and safety, the bears Caterina, Iris and Margherita, and know their stories. Afterwards, you will move by car until you get to the hermitage built by the Celestines in the early 1300s, to pass on the memory of the first hermit residence of Pietro da Morrone, later Pope Celestino V. Here he lived, for three years, in a small cave , which can still be visited, so narrow and low that it could barely welcome it standing or lying down. Guided tour of the hermitage and subsequent hiking (*) until you get to the cave where Pietro da Morrone lived. Return to the hotel. Dinner and overnight.
- 3rd day: Guardiagrele, the stone city, immortalized by Gabriele d'Annunzio
Breakfast at the hotel. In the morning you will dedicate a guided visit to the village of Guardiagrele with a wrought iron workshop. Guardiagrele is one of the most beautiful villages in Abruzzo and, together with the surrounding area, it represents a very interesting center for cooking, food and wine production and crafts. The visit of the center will give you beautiful emotions and pleasant surprises: Once you have crossed the S. Giovanni gate flanked by renowned blacksmiths' shops, you will immerse yourself in a fabric of ancient streets in which showcases of authentic delicacies among splendid Maiella stone architecture, such as the splendid Gothic facade of the church of S. Maria Maggiore, full of art treasures. An obligatory stop is represented by the pastry shops in the center where you can taste the "sise delle monache" confectionery specialty of the place. The lunch break will be dedicated to the tasting of typical dishes of Abruzzo gastronomic excellence and of the Majella Park at the characteristic Santa Chiara restaurant. The day ends at the EVO (extra virgin olive oil) laboratory of the Trappeto di Caprafico in Casoli. Immersed among centuries-old olive groves with breathtaking views of the rugged and wild mother mountain, the company, founded in 1874 by the Masciantonio family, produces high quality extra virgin olive oils, among which the Dop Bio and the mono varietal of Intosso stand out. You will be welcomed in a finely restored 800th century cottage with a great atmosphere. Guided visit to olive grove and oil mill, professional laboratory to learn the technique of tasting EVO oil and to recognize the main defects, and tasting of the company's products (oils, olives and pates, organic wines) tasting before pressing in October. Return to the hotel. Dinner and overnight at the hotel.
- 4th day: The Medieval Castle of Roccascalegna
- Breakfast at the hotel. The local guide is waiting for you in Roccascalegna, a characteristic center dominated by an imposing cliff, on which there is the fortified complex of the medieval Castle, built in a manner perfectly integrated with the impervious nature of the site. On the southern side of the fortress stands the ancient medieval village, once surrounded by walls, characterized by small houses built according to the morphology of the place. Urban excursion with a guided tour of the Castle set of the tv fiction Il Nome della Rosa. At the end of the day, Antonio and Amalia will welcome you at their farm and make you live a unique gastronomic experience. We have not booked a simple lunch for you, but a real gastronomic journey of the peasant tradition with a tasting menu, in which you too will get your hands on the dough with the preparation and cooking of the "Pizzelle", typical Abruzzo sweets. End of our services and departure for the return.
- THE PRICE INCLUDES :
- Accommodation at the 3-star Hotel Del Camerlengo in Fara San Martino in double rooms with private bathroom
- All meals shown in the hotel
- Tasting of beers in a craft brewery
- Wrought iron workshop in Guardiagrele
- Entrance and guided visit to the fauna area of the Brown Bear of Palena
- Guide for the visit to the Hermitage of Pope Celestino V and for the subsequent trekking to the Grotto where Pietro da Morrone lived
- Lunch with tasting menu of local dishes in Guardiagrele
- EVO oil workshop at the ancient trappeto of Caprafico in Casoli
- Guided tour of the Roccascalegna Castle
- Lunch in a farm in Roccascalegna, with tasting menu of traditional Abruzzo dishes and experience in the preparation and cooking of the "Pizzelle"
- Local guide for visits to Fara San Martino, Guardiagrele and Roccascalegna
- Medium mountain guide for the visit to the hermitage of Celestino V of Palena and the subsequent trekking to the cave of Pietro da Morrone
- "Serene vacation" fee against travel cancellation costs
- THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Drinks with meals
- Any tourist taxes
- Anything not expressly indicated in the item the fee includes
- (*) NB: The following equipment is necessary for the correct performance of the activity:
- K-way or cape in case of rain
- Comfortable clothing with long pants
- Trekking or gym shoes with sculpted rubber sole